Medicare Telehealth Policy
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) has released an updated version of their telehealth fact sheet, expanded into an easy-to-read booklet format [linked at the bottom of the article].
Here’s what you need to know: CMS only reimburses for live video telehealth services under specific circumstances, including…
Scope of Coverage / Type of Encounter
- Office or other outpatient visits
- Individual psychotherapy
- Pharmacologic management
- Psychiatric diagnostic interview examination
- End Stage Renal Disease
- Individual medical nutrition therapy
- Neurobehavioral status examination
- Follow up inpatient telehealth consultations
- Transitional care management services
Reimbursement for telehealth video conferencing can only occur when the originating site is:
- Located in a federal demonstration program;
- In a rural Health Professional Shortage Area (HPSA); OR
- A county that is outside of any Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA), as defined by HRSA and the US Census Bureau.
Type of Providers
- Nurse Practitioners
- Physician assistants
- Nurse midwives
- Clinical nurse specialists
- Clinical psychologists and clinical social workers
- Registered dietitians or nutrition professionals
Originating Site Facility
- The offices of physicians or practitioners
- Critical Access Hospitals
- Rural Health Clinics
- Federally qualified Health Centers
- Hospital-based or Critical Access Hospital-based Renal Dialysis Centers
- Skilled Nursing facilities
- Community Mental Health Centers
CPT & HCPCS Codes
CMS only reimburses for a limited number of CPT & HCPCS codes when services are delivered through telehealth. To view the list of reimbursable telehealth CPT & HCPCS codes for current year 2018, click here.
Other Telehealth Services
- There is no coverage for remote patient monitoring (RPM).
- CMS only covers store-and-forward for demonstration projects in Alaska and Hawaii.
(Information taken from Telehealth Resource Centers’ Medicare’s Telemedicine/Telehealth Payment Policies https://www.telehealthresourcecenter.org/toolbox-module/medicares-telemedicinetelehealth-payment-policies#current-medicare-policy )
To find out more about reimbursement for telemedicine using SimpleVisit, call us at 877.838.4748
Allie Clark | 10 min read | June 30, 2020The world has changed drastically. Seemingly overnight, we were overwhelmed by a deadly pandemic with no end in sight. The economy, daily life, and, yes, medical care had been up-ended in the wake of COVID-19. But where fear...
Allie Clark | 8 min read | June 8, 2020During the COVID-19 pandemic, telehealth has been necessary for not only the health of all American citizens, but also that of healthcare companies of all sizes. Virtually delivered services have kept many medical offices open...
Allie Clark | 10 min read | March 6, 2020[Updated on March 17, 2020] Our world is in the early throes of what is shaping up to be one of the most severe infectious disease outbreaks in modern history. Coming up with innovative approaches to stem the spread of the...